Saturday, October 3, 2009

Getting ready

About two weeks ago a relative invited us to join them on a trip from Oct 9-23, 2009 to Greece and Turkey to visit the places where the Apostle Paul preached the Gospel. We have considered it. We have passports, good health and each other. But paying the ticket is the biggest drawback. Do we just go on good credit and pay later? We never traveled on credit before. But the more we study maps and itinerary, the more interested we become in making the trip. We have even purchased our prescriptions ahead and bought a bigger suitcase to replace our worn weary ones. While we continue our normal routines, we are preoccupied with the thought of everything the trip promises. We see ourselves with bags all packed, meeting the group and boarding the plane. But before we go, the barley should be planted and firewood stored up for the winter. More fall housecleaning should be chalked off the "to do" list. We talk to our friends, look at photos and read about the places listed on the itnierary. There is so much to do! One woman said, "I can either get ready, or I can go. But I can't do both!"
Oh yes! I should have told you...the group is full. We are invited only on a "standby" basis. Will the tour leader call tomorrow to say "There is room for you now "?
However, as the time approaches, we have about come to the conclusion that we should wait for this trip until we have sufficient savings rather than to go on our good credit rating. We don't know "when" or "if" we will ever go to Greece/Turkey. But if something changes this week, and God makes it clear that we are to go, I am confident that we can pack on short notice and go.
And I consider...I have received an "all expenses paid trip" to my heavenly Home. I do not go on my good credit, and pay later. It is paid in advance by the precious blood of Jesus who paid the ransom for my sins and gave me a gift certificate to travel at His expense. If I do not ever visit Greece/Turkey it will not be a great loss, but to miss heaven is eternal loss.
Nor am I on "standby" waiting for another to cancel their trip to heaven. There is always "room for one more" to accept His free gift of salvation and prepare for the "greatest dream trip ever!"
Sometimes I grow weary of all the activity of "getting ready". There is so much to do in the time that remains. There is the normal duties and committments that continue. I love to hear the experiences of others and be reading and studying available information (my Bible) . I am sometimes preoccupied with everything the "trip" promises. I strive to be prepared to leave at a moment's notice when the Master calls my name for the "dream trip of my life" . I dream of meeting Him with my bags all packed and boarding pass in hand.. My mind wanders to the description of our destination site. Am I excited enough to be talking to others about the wonderful opportunity and hope they decide to join our traveling party? Do I get acquainted with other " enrolled tour members" in advance and enjoy the anticipation and excitement with them?
Let's go! Are you getting ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment