Monday, October 12, 2009

Landis Valley Museum

This is the house where my Uncle George and Aunt Emeline lived near Landis Valley. My Grandma had a broken pelvis after she and Aunt Emeline were involved in an accident on the front lawn of the Henry H Landis home. Marvin & I both remember going to the scene after the accident to view the damages....but we did not meet there. My Grandma recuperated in the sun room (attached to left of house) with Aunt Emeline's excellent care. I remember a bird bath surrounded bleeding heart plants in the middle of this lawn. The only picture of my baby sister Lucille with my mother was taken in this front yard. The barn, chicken houses and other outbuildings are gone...but the sun room still has the old tin roof! I thought the interior of this house was so grand with french doors between the living and dining room, a big, old piano in the living room, the sun room, the winding stairway to upstairs...it seemed like the epitome of elegance in the 1950's.



The Landis Valley Museum school house has a list of rules posted for teachers in 1872. How do you like this?


Engraving a tombstone with wooden mallet and chisel. Slow tedious work!











No comments:

Post a Comment