Sunday, March 11, 2012

Contrasts

Conveniences or Inconveniences
In January we helped cook for a 60-person mission group in Mexico. There we felt like we were very blessed to have hot water and a second refrigerator.

By contrast, last week I helped wash dishes for a Bible Quiz group of 200 in Lancaster County where the smaller kitchen was fully equipped with walk-in coolers, commercial dish washer, large grill and lots more. The conveniences were amazing! They also fed about 300 quizzers and coaches in the main kitchen. Much of the food was convenient: pre-scrambled eggs, frozen french fries, pre-breaded chicken breast pieces and such like. What a contrast! Apostle Paul once said, "I have learned in whatsoever state I am, there with to be content....both to abound and to suffer need." What lessons does He want me to learn? Can I learn contentment in whatever state/country I am called to serve and simply enjoy the people around me regardless if there is little or much?

Takers and Givers
Jesus said, "Freely ye have received, freely give."
Does He want me to learn humility and gratitude by receiving graciously sometimes
and
at other times to experience the joy and blessings of giving?
The same person can be a taker AND a giver!
Lead or Follow
Apostle Paul said, "Follow me as I follow Christ."
recently I read a line something like this:
"A good leader needs, first of all, be a good follower."
We all have someone in authority over us-
the employee has an employer,
the employer has a banker or inspector,
the banker or inspector has a supervisor
and so on-
no person is in charge in every situation-
and we all answer to God- regardless what our calling or position.
Can I humbly lead or follow depending on the level of my responsibility?
Old friends and New friends
Last week there was a mixture of both new and old friends whose paths crossed with mine.
At the Quiz retreat I met some old friends that we rarely see anymore. One friend said, "I thought we might be in heaven before we get a chance to catch up with each other again." I love meeting old friends! You an always pick up where you left off, and connect again.
But then, by contrast, we received two bulky packages in the mail last week. The first one came from an interesting young woman we met last fall at the Anabaptist conference near Lititz, PA. She lives in the Czech Republic and is writing a thesis on Anabaptism for her TH.d. We had exchanged addresses and emails last fall. She wrote asking more questions about the Anabaptist faith from our perspective. I look forward to an ongoing relationship with Klara.
Another day we received a letter and calendar from a middle-aged couple, Jonas and Greta, who live in Iceland. We met them at a church service near Mifflinburg where they had stopped in for a break in their travels through PA. We made their acquaintance and also exchanged addresses. Isn't it amazing how an envelope in the mail can make your day when it brings a connection to a new friend?
There are lots more contrasts in life. How can we be bored? We never know if the next bend will bring sunshine or shadow, but if God is with us, we can be content.

No comments:

Post a Comment