Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The view from the 48th floor

Today is our 48th anniversary. And I reflect:
On our wedding day, my Uncle John F. Martin - who had been my employer for five years- came through the receiving line with his congratulations and best wishes. His additional comment remains with us today. He said, "remember every rainbow needs both sunshine and rain. I wish you many rainbows in life."
   In the past 48 years there have been lots of sunshine and some rainy days too. Many days included some of both! But we have survived 48 years sharing the joys and sorrows of life. There has been unexpected adventures, simple pleasures, moments of pure joy and the blessing of growing old together. We have not done it perfectly. There have been failures and regrets. We will probably fail again and again. But forgiveness and love go a long way in remaining committed to a best friend. We are not alike, but we both love the Lord and agree on the things that really matter!
  We are spending the day going to Ag Progress- his choice. We will get a free meal there courtesy of a seed corn company. May not sound romantic to the new bride. But after 48 years I am glad that he feels honored to take me along to introduce to his business buddies. And I know when I ask him to go along to a history meeting that is not quite his main interest, he obliges sometimes. And he just walked in the door with a bouquet of flowers, courtesy of his produce farmer family- which includes a lot of my favorite black eyed susans. (He mentioned to them some time or other that I like them).
We are ready to go for the Gold -just two years away. But that is up to our Commander-in-chief! If we don't make it to 50, we are blessed with what we have!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment