Wednesday, June 30, 2010

John and Elizabeth

We are changing more than our hair color!
Since Marvin and I are eligible for Medi-care, we both need to use our proper first names. To receive benefits, the doctor's office, prescriptions and other medical records have been changed to John and Elizabeth. It is a switch in identity!
There are seven generations of Elizabeth's but none have used the "Elizabeth" name. The first generation was called "Betsy". The second and third were "Lizzie" , the next three were/are "Betty" and the seventh is our granddaughter "Betsy". My mother used the name "Elizabeth" in her school days. Her family taught her to write her name "Betty" before she went to first grade. Just before school started, she learned her real name was "Elizabeth." She was fascinated by that information. So when the teacher ask "What is your name?", she replied, "Elizabeth Burkholder". She was the smallest child in her class but she had the longest name. The other students got 1/2 of a blackboard to practise writing their name but the teacher gave her a whole blackboard. She often said she was glad she used that name in school because it felt more like her name. As long as she lived, some of her classmates continued to call her Elizabeth. Anyway, after all these years, I get to use my own real name! I don't mind my nickname at all. It is like an old familiar shoe that you don't want to throw out. I just wonder how long it will take for it to register when they call the name "Elizabeth" at the doctor's office.
And speaking of hair color...yesterday while cleaning at the History Center, I saw a light hair caught in the furniture where I had just been stooping to clean. My first thought was "Now who's light hair is that?" My second thought was " Oh, it is mine. My black hair disappeared a decade ago."
But the greatest change in identity is still ahead. I'm looking forward to changing from mortal to immortal. What a day that will be!

2 comments:

  1. I ran into that name change sooner than you did because of being required to use my first name for certain things instead of the middle name I have always used. Will future generations scratch their heads wondering who Leroy's first wife was? The marriage license records in our county say he was married to Helen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is "Elizabeth" on my driver's license, passport, marriage license and other legal documents. But now it will get more use if I need to use it for medical purposes too. The only time it got me in trouble was in Haiti when my ticket said "Betty" and my birth certificate said "Elizabeth". (Imagine, we went to Haiti without passports in 1989). Anyway, the Haitians could not see the connection for "Betty" to be a nickname for "Elizabeth".

    ReplyDelete